Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Today In History, June 8, 1967

On June 8, 1967 a United State Navy vessel was attacked, 34 members of her crew were killed and 172 were wounded. The United States government took no action against the country that carried out this act of war. In fact the United States government played a major role in covering the incident up. They said it was a case of "mistaken identity", I don't believe that to this day. I feel that the country that carried out the attack was afraid the ship had listened in on radio transmissions about other war crimes they had carried out. War planes that had been sent to defend the ship in distress were called back by Washington, D.C., they didn't want to embarrass the country that carried out the attack. After all that country was our friend and ally Israel.

Every year on this day I spend a little time thinking about the men that made up the crew of the USS Liberty. I wonder how they felt when their ship was first attacked by a country that is supposed to be our friend. When I started going to the sites I visit as a part of this I found that one of them ( http://ussliberty.org/) had added a new link, "War Crimes Report Filed By Liberty Survivors". I hope you will go to the site I posted and read that. While your there you can read the list of names of the crew members that were murdered that day, it is a very interesting site. Some time today I will also be watching a 52 minute video, "Loss Of Liberty", I watch it every year on this day. The video has footage of the USS Liberty before and after the attack and interviews with crew members. If your interested in getting a copy check out, http://www.veteransforpeace.org/Loss_of_liberty_021704.htm I feel it is well worth watching. Please take a few minutes to check out the links I've posted, and Remember The Liberty.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

6 Comments:

Blogger Scriptor said...

You don't really see this stuff on the news much. Everybody's yapping about the over-liberal and evil "liberal media". If it's a democracy, how come we have so little a part in it.

7:52 AM  
Blogger loboinok said...

Great post! Thanks for remembering and reminding.

12:55 PM  
Blogger XFI MMA said...

Mr. Schantz,

Oh, how correct you are and an excellent job bringing the past to light.

7:51 PM  
Blogger loboinok said...

I have a post at my site that i would like for you to see.

10:36 AM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

Okdemocrat, Good questions, but I don't think I can count that high. I pray you won't let the main stream media bias cause you to give up on your plans. I feel your a great writer and at some time in the future I'll be able to tell people I knew him through the Internet back when he was Blogging for free.An old friend of mine (George Sherman) was an Opinion Page columnist, he also authored and co-authored a couple of hard to find books before he passed away. He never made the big bucks, but he did make a living. His work (Telling the truth) sometimes earned him the title of radical or extremist but he never let that bother him, because he knew he was doing what was right.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Scriptor said...

Thanks for dropping by, I just put up a comment on what I think an international organization should have in a comment on the United Nations post at Balance of Powers (powerbalance.blogspot.com). Read it if you are interested.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home