Sunday, June 05, 2005

Letter From My United States Representative

I got a letter from My United States Representative, Sam Graves (R-MO.) today. It was in response to one I had sent him asking about his views on the Online Freedom Of Speech Act. I wanted to share his response with you.

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1606/S. 678, The Online Freedom Of Speech Act. I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you.

This legislation seeks to exclude Internet communications from the meaning of "public communication", as defined in the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971. When Congress passed the Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act (BCRA) in 2002, the legislation did not identify the Internet as a target of regulation. However, a federal judge has ruled that the Federal Election Commission's (FEC) exemption is not permissible since there was no clear direction from Congress.

This bill would provide that clear direction and allow all citizens the ability to be involved in politics on all aspects of local, state, and federal elections. I do not support restrictions that infringe on the freedom of speech and undermine the political process.

The bill has been referred to the House Committee on House Administration. I will continue to monitor this legislation with your thoughts in mind, and I can assure you that I will fight to preserve our first amendment rights.

Thank you again for contacting me and please do not hesitate to reach me in the future or visit my website at www.house.gov/graves if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely
Sam Graves
Member of Congress

Representative Graves does have a good record when it comes to supporting our Second Amendment rights. I hope he will work to protect the First Amendment in this case.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

2 Comments:

Anonymous dissertation help uk said...

Thanks for sharing this letter with us. It explains a lot!

3:42 AM  
Blogger smithendy@gmail.com said...

very official letter, the author follow all the rules of writinf. If you have problems with answering, research paper writing service can give you recommendations about essay/ official leter writing and many other usuful information.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home