Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001

September 11, 2001 is one of the dates that I sure everyone that was over the age of ten at the time will remember in detail for many years to come.

As a rule Sue would have been in the living room watching the morning news on TV. I usually had the short wave on while reading some of my favorite newspapers on-line. For some reason I had not turned the radio on that morning and Sue was going through the kitchen cabinets getting ready for a trip to the grocery store. I was reading a very strange article in the London Telegraph. I was sure they were treating a FEMA drill as if it were real. The article said one of the towers at the World Trade Center had been hit by a jet liner. I felt like I was reading a new version of War Of The Worlds. Sue handed me the phone as she told me it was my Step-Daughter. There was no hello, she screamed "Are you watching this shit?". Before I could tell her we didn't have the TV or radio on she said "Oh my God the second tower has been hit"! At that point I realized this is not a drill. When I turned back to the computer screen the article I'd been reading had been updated. I remember the numb feeling I had as I sat there looking at a photo of the World Trade Center in ruins. The numbness was replaced by feelings of anger, sorrow and grief. The rest of the day was spent watching news broadcasts on TV, listening on the short wave and reading updates on the computer.

Before that day I had told people that I knew that one day there would be a terrorist attack on United States soil. I was thinking along the lines of a school or shopping center bombing. I had not thought of anything as devastating as that day turned out to be. I pray nothing like that ever happens again but I'm afraid it will.

I hope you'll take some time today to remember the innocent victims that lost their lives that day. Say a prayer for them and ask God to continue to watch over the friends, families and loved ones they left behind.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
The Compassion Connection

3 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Hi, David...I just spent an hour watching a FOX presentation of first-hand accounts of 9/11 ...we were living in Paris when it happened and there are still details CNN Int'l didn't provide us....so there are new things.
I wanted to turn the TV off but I couldn't stop watching.. An hour of tears, an hour of grief that America's so divided only since that happened. Suddenly, muslims are more revered than ever...Suddenly, our Left takes joy in condemning US above all our enemies. I just heard leftwinger talk show hostess Leslie Marshall say "How can we tell Iran or N Korea they can't have a nuke if Israel has one?" Seriously...what is she THINKING?
God help us all.
And God bless you and your Sue. xxx

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Adam said...

Z, good comments I agree. As for what happened on 9/11 it was an evil act by evil people. Anyone who supported these terrorists are evil and should be wiped off the earth, but if not they will receive their 'reward' in hell.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

The victims of 9/11 will be remembered for centuries to come.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home