Sunday, May 11, 2008

Question Of The Week, 5/11/08

Good morning and Happy Mothers Day to all MOM's. I miss mine every day, (May She Rest In Peace) but even more on the special days like this one. I remember all the times she told me, "When you get older I hope you have kids that act just like you do now." Well Mom, I did and they do. Then came the Grand-Kids and now the Great-Grand-Kids. Geeez Mom, I'm sorry. Just playing, my Mother was Great. The Kids, Great and Grand-Kids are, well I love them. OH, this weeks question.

I read two articles in my morning paper on the same subject and its not the Presidential campaign although that is mentioned. Chances are there have been similar articles to these two (Here and Here) in your local papers. How are we going to survive these gas prices? That's not this weeks question. Well I guess it is kind of anyway, "Government intervention has helped stop a fuel crisis before. In 1974, lawmakers found a solution that helped Americans conserve gas without taking money out of highway department pockets when it imposed a nationwide 55 mph speed limit." This weeks Question Of The Week is. Should the Federal Government bring back the 55 mph speed limit to help us get through our latest fuel crisis?

I'll post my answer in the Comment Section Monday night.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
The St. Joseph News-Press

5 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

I have no problem with the 55 mph speed limit. In fact, here in the D.C. area, we have lived with that limit for over three decades. In addition to saving fuel, that reasonable limitation provides for more safety on the roads.

If someone wants to ripsnort, go to the drag strip on drive-what-you-brung night.

BTW, I have up a new FEATURED QUESTION about coping with rising costs. The question will remain at the top of my blog for a few weeks; I'm in the busy season now with the end of the school term looming.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Michael Ejercito said...

Higher fuel prices increase incentives to conserve.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

I think a 55 mph limit is good in that it might save lives, but to impose it to cut fuel costs just means more Gov't control of our lives. Heck, as if I can talk, you want to see all the regulation over here...Let the market decide, if people want to save fuel they might consider more efficient drivetrains or hybrids...

5:59 AM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

First I want to thank you for stoppingby to answer this weeks question."Should the Federal Government bring back the 55 mph speed limit to help us get through our latest fuel crisis?" For me this is a tough one. I'm going to say yes because it saves fuel and lives, but. I am bothered by that Federal Government taking control thing. Seems to me that the Fed is or would like to be involved in just about everything we do today. Could fuel rationing be in our future? If I remember right some areas got a taste of that during the 1974/75 energy crisis. I would rather slow down than go through that.


On The Lighter Side.

When I was puting gas in (Notice I didn't say filling up) the pick up a few days ago a bunch of customers were discussing fuel prices and joking around out at the pumps. A complete stranger accused me of being a lier. I had said I could remember being able to afford to fill my tank. He said no one could remember that far back.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Electric cars will be invented soon.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home