Thursday, July 14, 2005

Train Security

It's been a long time since I have traveled by train. I think it was before I was in my teens, I'll be 55 next month. I've talked to a few people that do travel by rail from time to time. From what they tell me security is pretty lax. I think that is a little frightening when you think about last weeks terrorist attacks in London. Yesterday I found out that there has been some legislation introduced (since the London attacks) that might beef up our rail traffic security. You can check it out by going to http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.html and typing in S.1379. I'm not going to say this legislation will solve the problem, but it could be a step in the right direction. I'd hate to see the Department Of Homeland Security go overboard with this which I feel they did with Air Port Security but the possibility of a terrorist attack ( a lot of us feel there will be another one, see my Question Of The Week, 7/10/05) involving rail traffic should not be ignored.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unadulterated Underdog said...

Where does my judicial proposal violate any state's right to govern itself? I ask this respectfully ofcourse because it seems I disagree with your assessment. On the contrary, my proposal would require the state and Federal governments to do what they are supposed to do: govern. Where does that proposal violate the 10th? I specified that the court is to be a moderator, a body to moderate a conflict that the state and/or Federal government have not yet addressed. Should cases be ignored? That is what would happen if judges and justices didn't moderate. There is also no violation of the 10th in the courts ordering the states and Congress to address issues that have yet to be fully addressed. This proposal in no way violates the 10th; it provides temporary solvency while directing the necessary legislative bodies to resolve the issues as they apply to their political entity (state, US etc.) Also, the Constitution IS a living document because it can be amended and has been amended on many occasions. A non-living document is one that is unchanging despite internal and external pressure. Once again, though most respectfully, I ask how this violates the Constitution in any way? Is it wrong to order the government to do its job and govern? Cheers!

12:41 PM  
Blogger The MaryHunter said...

Um, OK, OKDem... :-| But I think your judicial train left the station already.

David, I take a few round-trip Amtrak and New Jersey Transit trips every month or so. Security isn't even the word. Amtrak tells you to be sure to bring your picture ID when you pick up your ticket... but you never need an ID to buy your ticket from the machines, as I always do. Boarding security is nonexistent. And this is in the Boston to DC corridor.

Thanks for drawing attention to this legislation. I'll have a closer look. Anything is better than what we have now, which is nothing.

4:05 PM  
Blogger zhengbin said...

Kauf und Verkauf von Gold in den thomas sabo Goldmarkt hat viel an Popularität gewonnen

1:56 AM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Very nice post. The residents of http://assistedlivinglittlerockarkansas.com definitely appreciate this topic.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home