Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Safety or Gas Price Issue

We have a little 29 cc gas powered scooter out in the shed. I haven't had it out yet this year. It needs cleaned up and air in it's tires. The weather so far this year has been strange, in the 40's one day and the 80's the next so I hadn't thought much about the scooter.

Today I've been thinking about our scooter and a couple of news articles I've read recently. One of them was By Martha Irvine an AP National Writer, "Bans on Motorized Scooters Increasing". This article addresses safety issues and bans that have been put on the scooters. It talks about people that let their 8 and 9 year old kids ride them on public streets, I do have a problem with that. In the article, "One transportation expert says she's especially worried about pocket bikes, which can exceed speeds of 40 mph and ride low to the ground, making them difficult to see." Ours is the brightest yellow I have ever seen making it easy to see and it will do all of 35 mph on a good down hill grade. Our local laws say you do have to have a drivers license to operate one but the scooter doesn't have to be registered or licensed. You can operate them on city streets but not state highways, which does cause some confusion, many of our city streets are state highways. Ours gets right around 200 mpg, which takes us to the next article.

A May 10, 2005 Saint Joseph News-Press article, "Gasoline prices fall to slightly under $2" tells about the good news the people that filled their tanks on Monday the 9th got, "According to an industry analyst in California, the nations average gasoline price has dropped 3 cents over the last two months, but prices are still an average of 40 cents higher than at the beginning of the year." the article goes on to tell about how some of the people in my area feel about gas prices, I'm sure all of you have seen that in your local papers. It did say that at the time the article was written the price of crude was right around $50 a barrel and predicted that we may see prices continue to drop, "before prices begin to rise for the summer." Something I'm sure we all knew was coming.

I did have a reason for mentioning these two articles at the same time. We all know the oil industry has a lot of lobbyist in Washington D.C. I have a feeling that they are somehow behind the new efforts to put more bans on my little scooter, and I'm being told they are concerned about my safety.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Why not try eBikes?

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home