Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Excessive Force or Poor Training?

I read a Los Angeles Times article about an incident that some of you may feel is a case of excessive force (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-chase10may10,0,2324774.story?coll=la-home-headliners Early in the morning hours of the Monday after Mothers Day ten Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies opened fire on an SUV they had been chasing. When it was all over the deputies had fired 120 rounds of ammunition injuring a deputy and wounding an unarmed suspect. The crossfire also left bullet holes in at least five homes and a neighborhood terrified. Sheriff Lee Baca has said there will be a full investigation of the incident. "The aspect of shooting in an urban area is problematic and dangerous under all circumstances," Baca said. "there's no such thing as a safe shooting under any conditions."

When I was learning to use firearms safety was stressed over and over again, as it should have been before I was ever handed a loaded firearm (they all are). One of the things that I was taught was to look beyond the intended target. Where is that round going to go, what is it going to hit if you should miss your target. If there is a chance of doing property damage or taking an innocent life, don't take the shot. I pray the Sheriff will take these ten deputies off road patrol until the investigation is over. The time off the road will give them a chance to take some firearms safety training courses.

After I read the Los Angeles Times article I started trying to remember something from the past. I couldn't so I had to go web surfing to find some information, http://texashideout.tripod.com/deathcar.html When the outlaw team of Bonnie and Clyde (known killers) was ambushed the posse fired 167 rounds into their car. That's not to many more than the deputies mentioned in the Los Angeles Times article used to get the wrong guy.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Schantz said...

Long before the Rodney King thing I watched 7 police officers attack a person for no real reason. Then they put the dog on him. I was supposed to be a witness but it never went to court.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

6:40 AM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Those are very sad news.

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home