Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend 2011

Is it just me or have a lot of folks forgotten what Memorial Day was meant to be? It seems to me that a lot of them feel it's a time to throw some meat on the fire and have a few beers with their friends. Chances are we will have a cookout some time this weekend but most of the time will be spent thinking about those that have paid for our freedom with their lives.

My Mothers Brother, Richard L. Goforth (An Uncle I never got a chance to meet) was killed in action on June, 19, 1944 while serving on the U.S.S. South Dakota BB-57. I heard from one of her crew members that she was the first United States Ship to fire on Japans mainland during WW II. If my count isn't off 87 men lost their lives whilhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gife serving aboard the
USS South Dakota between 1942 and 1945.
That is just a few of the list of thousands that have gave their lives protecting the freedoms we have today. If you'd like, go to the Photo Pages and see the faces of the crew of Battle Ship X. Some of her crew members have posted their E-mail addresses. You can contact them to say thank you for all you've done.

Thanks go to;
The U.S.S. South Dakota

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

6 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Hi, David, I'm so sorry about your uncle and can only imagine how much his family grieved.

The name GOFORTH is the name of a missionary, I think the first name is JOnathan and I thought it was a really perfect name for a Christian missionary! Any relation? :-)

Thanks for the work you're doing at the shelter and thanks for telling all those guys THANKS for what they did.
I hope you enjoy my Memorial Day blog Monday; it's an angry one but it has a video that will give you joy and hope and a great old video you'll also enjoy!

2:56 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

Z,

I don't think that is a relative but it could be.

My Sister was surprised when I made contact with some of our Uncles old shipmates. The one that provided us with the most information on our Uncle passed away a couple of years ago. Both of us spent many hours on the phone with him. Every time we lose one of our Veterans we lose a little piece of history.

There is never a dull moment working at a homeless shelter. Being around the veterans makes it worth doing.

I'll see you tomorrow. I hope you have a safe and happy Memorial Day.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

A blessed Memorial Day to you, David.

Two of my cousins served on D-Day. Both came back physically whole, but not mentally whole.

We all recognize the price paid by the fallen (and their families), but must remember that those who serve and survive also pay a dear price -- for us who stay at home.

2:34 AM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

I hope your all having a safe and happy Memorial Day.

Always On Watch,
You are right about those that serve and survive. Some of the homeless veterans at the shelter sometimes seem to have problems dealing with everyday life. They seem to have came home with some ghosts. The pay off is when one of them that has been working outside the shelter comes up and tells you that they should be able to get a cheep used car next month and an apartment the following month. It's great seeing them get their lives back together and move on. We can only pray they make it and be there for them if they need help.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

11:59 AM  
Blogger karen said...

I don't know if any of my family that have died in war. I have many family members who have served. God Bless them all.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Hay check out their website http://www.ussdakota.com/ and email ussdakota@aol.com to say thank you to them

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home