Sunday, May 24, 2009

In Memory Of William Joseph Allen III

I never met Mr. William Joseph Allen III, I heard about him from a couple of my friends that knew him and tried to help. "The death certificate said William Joseph Allen III died at 11:15 p.m. on March 4, 2009. He was 26 years old. The coroner listed the cause of death as an accidental overdose of alcohol and drugs, Oxycotin." Now I'm thinking there was more to Mr. Allen than a life of drug and alcohol addiction. "There was little doubt William Allen was destined to serve his country in the U.S. Marines. His life and, ultimately, his death seemed inextricably bound by that call to service." (Continue Reading) I feel this happens much to often. Brave young men and women answer the call to serve our country in a time of war. They bring ghosts (Personal problems) home with them. Some turn to drugs and alcohol to quiet the ghosts. We can see they have a drug and alcohol problem but fail to see or give any thought to why they do this to themselves until it's to late. I don't feel they are any less a hero than someone that dies in battle.

Rest In Peace Mr. Allen.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
The St. Joseph News-Press

3 Comments:

Blogger Susannah said...

God bless his soul. And may he be in Peace now.

Thank you for posting about Mr. Allen. I would never have known. His family will be in my prayers.

Found you through Z's blog. Hope you & yours have a nice Memorial Day...

4:19 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Hi, DAvid, thanks for coming by.

I feel terrible for this kid, too. And I feel terrible that he felt such a duty but people could use this as anti-war material. But, I guess that's just me. I hope I'm wrong.

May he rest in peace..and may his family's joyful memories replace the sadness they're feeling now.

5:54 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

Z,

I see what you mean but I didn't mean to sound anti-war. I'm concerned about some of our young men and women that are returning home with mental/emotional problems. Is enough being done to get them the help they need? I'm not suggesting drugging them down for life, there are effective alternative methods of treatment.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home