Sunday, December 14, 2008

Question Of The Week, 12/14/08

Good morning, or I guess I should say good afternoon since I'm a little late. Last night (right after midnight) I was reading the on line version of my local paper and thinking about this weeks question. I came across two articles that told about the ice storm that hit this area last winter, "Ice is gone, but lessons live on" and "Storm hit poor, elderly the hardest". While I was reading the second article our power went out for four hours. Last year we were without power and heat for four days. The two articles and last nights power outage caused me to think about some preparations we need to take around our house. That leads to this weeks Question Of The Week. How prepared are you, how long do you figure you could survive if a natural disaster left you without heat and power and unable to get out to get needed supplies?

I'll post my answer in the Comment Section Tuesday morning.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
The St Joseph News-Press

3 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

We bought an inverter at Pep Boys. This device runs on car batteries and will power three electric devices/appliances. Unlike a generator, an inverter doesn't need ventilation for exhaust.

We also have two kerosene space heaters and a working fireplace with plenty of wood on hand.

We have plenty of candles, several working flashlights, and two battery-powered lanterns - the kind that gives off plenty of candlepower.

We've always got canned goods on hand as well as some potable water. All those years growing up in the country. I remember that once back then we were out of power for a full week. For that reason, I've never had an electric stove; our house was the only one in the area with a gas stove, so Mom and I were cooking, cooking, cooking.

I'd say that we're pretty well prepared in this household.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Z said...

not enough, TRUST me.

10:23 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

First I want to thank you for stopping by to answer this weeks question. "How prepared are you, how long do you figure you could survive if a natural disaster left you without heat and power and unable to get out to get needed supplies?" We have alternative heat and light sources, but it's best if their used in a ventilated area,butane heat stove, cook stove and a lantern. Canned food is always on hand here. The other day I noticed the medicine cabinet needs to be restocked. I have just under 100 pounds of dog food so they will be OK for a while. I feel we'd be able to make it a week.

Yes I was late again but for good reason. After my appointment at the Missouri Career Center (Employment Office)I had to take my Step-Daughter shopping, she is currently without transportation. I'm still out of work.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home