Friday, December 05, 2008

Updated A New Home For Guantanamo Detainees

More has come out on moving the Guantanamo detainees to the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks on Fort Leavenworth. See the update below the original post.

Right after I read this St. Joseph News-Press article that mentions moving the Guantanamo detainees to the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks on Fort Leavenworth I decided to check out a Leavenworth, Kansas paper to get more information. I was quite pleased to see Leavenworth city officials were opposed to the idea. "Leavenworth city commissioners expressed their concerns regarding a national issue when they met on Tuesday." (Continue Reading) I live in Saint Joseph, Missouri and for some strange reason the idea of having approximately 250 would be terrorist housed 38 miles south of me just isn't all that appealing. I can think of a pretty much endless list of things that could possibly go wrong with this plan. I don't feel the Guantanamo detainees should be housed anywhere near an area that has a large civilian population unless we can be assured that the facility would be escape proof. I'm thinking we once had a prison in the United States that made that claim. Maybe we should talk to Speaker of The House Nancy Pelosi about turning Alcatraz Island into a Federal Prison once again.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
St. Joseph News-Press
Leavenworth Times

12/10/08 Update.

A December 8 Leavenworth Times article says the Lansing, Kansas (Part of the Kansas City metropolitan area) City Council is also opposed to the idea of moving the Guantanamo detainees to the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks on Fort Leavenworth. "In a last minute addition to the agenda, the Lansing City Council passed a resolution on Thursday opposing the moving of detainees from the Guatanamo Bay facility to Fort Leavenworth." (Continue Reading) After I read it I contacted my United States Representative Sam Graves (R-MO) to urge him to oppose this move. I still do not feel the Guantanamo detainees should be held in an area with a large civilian population.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
The Leavenworth Times


12/14/08 Update

After I learned that United States Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS) had filed S. 3721, to prohibit the use of funds to transfer individuals detained by the United States at the Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas I contacted both of my United States Senators, Kit Bond (R-MO) and Claire McCaskill (D-MO) to urge them to support S. 3721. I hope they will see the flaws in the plan to move the detainees and take action.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
The St. Joseph News-Press.

12/19/08 Update

Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., continues to be criticized for his opposition to the move. I feel this St. Joseph News-Press editorial gives some pretty good reasons for not moving the Guantanamo detainees to the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Thanks go to:
The St. Joseph News-Press

3 Comments:

Blogger David Schantz said...

I found another Leavenworth Times article on the subject,http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/homepage/x1049844124/Officials-argue-against-detainees-at-fort .

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

5:15 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Hi, David!
I'd hate to tell you where I think they should be relocated. It would be too mean!

let us know what happens about this....I hope the community's GOOD and angry and STOPS IT. We need to keep them off shore.......if we have to keep them at all.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

It seems extremely unlikely. Alcatraz was closed because it was too expensive to run (everything had to come in by boat). Since then it has been the site of a native American sit-in, and now it is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and overseen by the National Park Service as a tourist attraction. It would take a vast amount of money to put it back into operation as a functioning prison... considering that at the moment it is effectively a crumbling ruin. I can't see Congress, either Democratic or Republican, putting up the money for something like that. Please click http://assistedlivinglittlerockarkansas.com

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home