Sunday, May 25, 2008

Question Of The Week, 5/25/08

Good morning. I hope all of you are having a Safe And Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Mine will not start until 23:00. I had a tough time deciding what the subject of this weeks question should be. I checked my e-mail and the news, no luck. Then it came to me, something I'd heard about earlier in the week. Some of our elected officials (members of congress) recently tried to attach an amnesty for illegal aliens provision to the Senate Appropriations Committee’s Iraq Supplemental Funding bill. That would have given one piece of legislation two subjects/topics. This weeks Question Of The Week is. Should our law makers (Members of congress) be allowed to attach a provision that has nothing to do with the subject of the bill to a piece of legislation?

I'll post my answer in the Comment Section Monday night.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

6 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

Should our law makers (Members of congress) be allowed to attach a provision that has nothing to do with the subject of the bill to a piece of legislation?

No, but the sneaks do it all the time.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Absolutely not. It's one reason that cheers me up a bit about voting for McCain. He seems to be against it, too.
This is the lowest of the lowest and, AOW is right, they do it all the time.
That's when Bush or other Republicans look bad for vetoing something that LOOKS like it should be passed! "Bush didn't vote for the soldiers"...because there was a big fat horrid farm bill or something attached, but we never HEAR that in the news!

(David, what was the funny thing about the links after mine on your blogroll? I'm sorry, I like to think I have a sense of humor, but I'm missing it here..help me out! !)

8:40 AM  
Blogger Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

By virtue of process, it is often challenging enough to debate one piece of legislation, hence one topic, and one subject. To attach a provision compromises both the bill and the provision. If this is, the goal of the members who drafted the provision it makes for a good method of frustrating democracy and legislation in the making. My answer therefore is NO.

5:04 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

What do you know, I really made it here on a Monday night, but then this is a Holiday. I want to thank you for stopping by to answer this weeks question. "Should our law makers (Members of congress) be allowed to attach a provision that has nothing to do with the subject of the bill to a piece of legislation?" Well I see the majority feels that it happens a lot. No! Our law makers should not be allowed to do this and some of them have said it's wrong. Then they vote in favor of the bill with the attachment in place. The grass roots organization Downsize DC is trying to get the practice stopped. They're looking for voters that want to get involved. Check out " Make Congress pass DownsizeDC.org's "One Subject at a Time Act" at www.downsizedc.org or http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=83 .

Z, someone with a strange mind/sense of humor (Like me) could read the two links as, geeeeeZ (it's) Greasy online.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Z said...

got it, David! (Finally)

thanks!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

No. But... Congress has the power to enact this legislation pursuant.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home