Saturday, December 16, 2006

Does My Local News Paper Omit?

My local news paper never mentioned the fact that the city councilman from my district sponsored a resolution (that was passed by a vote of 9-0) making December 15 Bill Of Rights Day in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I submitted three Letters To The Editor, trying to draw some attention to the resolution and the day. One of them was published on December 16, the day after Bill Of Rights Day, it was submitted (E-mailed) on December 13.

From Letter To The Editor, St. Joseph News-Press, December, 16, 2006.

Speaking out

I noticed both of the letters to the editor in the Dec. 13 News-Press were written by young people, Kayla Weese and Kylie Lofts, both of Faucett, Mo. I think that is great. Two young people speaking out, voicing their opinions. Practicing their right to free speech, which is protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

I wonder if they realize that Friday, Dec. 15, was Bill Of Rights Day? The first 10 amendments (our Bill Of Rights) to the United States Constitution were ratified on Dec. 15, 1791. I'd like to urge Kayla and Kylie to continue speaking out and I want to wish both of them a happy Bill Of Rights Day.

David Schantz

St. Joseph

The letter had been edited, most of the time I'd have little or no problem with that,but. In this case I'd hoped to get the letter published in time to draw attention to Bill Of Rights Day. The letter I submitted said,"I wonder if they realize that Friday, Dec. 15, is Bill Of Rights Day?" That was changed to, "I wonder if they realize that Friday, Dec. 15, was Bill Of Rights Day?" Something else is missing. When I close a Letter To The Editor I do it the same way I close a post here, "God Bless America, God Save The Republic." That was missing from this and every other letter I've had published in the News-Press. It seems that my local paper omits, or edits anything they don't like or disagree with.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

3 Comments:

Blogger American Crusader said...

Its freedom of the press, "The Press" being the operative words.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, unfortunately for many years the decision as to what the good people of Saint Joseph should read has been in the hands of the Bradley Family, not known for their belief in any kind of dissent that may undermine their own privileges.

If you want a real "trip down memory lane", go to the archives at the Saint Joseph Public Library (downtown branch!) and look over those years when we were in high-school (and hopefully they've upgraded from microfiche, which always gave me a headache!). You'll be astoinished as to the social caste system (and the newspaper policies) that the more things change, the more they remain the same.

As long as I'm pounding on the keyboard right now, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a good 2007.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Perhaps you missed it. Me, actually posting on my blog...who'd a thunk it!

But, I had my own run in with my local paper recently. (http://hazardouspastimes.blogspot.com/2006/12/p.html)

Now, it seems they're likely to steal my idea.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home