Thursday, December 07, 2006

Armed Teachers

Wouldn't you know it. I've already saved my next Question Of The Week as a draft. Now I find an article about teachers being allowed to carry concealed weapons in Utah schools. The article ask some interesting questions that common sense should answer. Should they be allowed to get some training? Who will pay for the training. Any other citizen that wants a concealed carry permit has to get training and pay for it themselves. Who will be held liable for a gun carrying school employee? Any other citizen would have to be responsible for their own actions. What would make a school employee any different? Do I think armed teachers are a good idea? Yes I do. I feel that it has been proven that gun-free school zones don't work. It is impossible for police officers to be every where they are needed as soon as they are needed and we are fools if we think they can be.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is going on in Utah that escalated this new law?Are the schools getting that bad there. I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to carry guns, students or teachers.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

If the police can't respond in a timely manner (say five or ten minutes) then yes the teachers should be allowed and perhaps even encouraged to act as school security. They should receive both special training and special pay for the responsibility.

We have entirely to many guns in our society for my taste, but if we can't get them out of the hands of criminals then we should never take them out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Better an informed and armed public than a police state.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Kopel notes that Federal law does not prohibit State-permit-based concealed carry in schools---the States do.

The Gun-Free School Zone law specifically allows concealed carry in schools by permit-holders.

In a meeting with the teacher of one of my kids, he claimed he'd "catch a bullet for [my] kid."

I'd rather he be able to throw one.

3:18 PM  
Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

In my state you have to be able to show basic competence in handling firearms before you are allowed to have a permit to carry. Is Utah's system different?

3:12 PM  
Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

In my state you have to be able to show basic competence in handling firearms before you are allowed to have a permit to carry. Is Utah's system different?

3:26 PM  
Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

my apologies; I have no idea why that posted twice.

3:27 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

As far as I know there has never been a shooting at a Utah school. Utah schools are not gun-free zones so they do not have the gun-free zone signs that thry have at schools in other states. The gun-free zone schools inother states (with the signs) are where the school shootings have taken place. Once again gun-free zones do not work. Utah does require background checks, testing and training before issuing a concealed carry permit.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home