Wednesday, October 04, 2006

So What Do We Do?

I think this Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Editorial (Massacre at Nickel Mines: Legislation no solution) makes it pretty easy to understand. It doesn't matter how many anti-gun laws our elected officials pass. They are not going to stop a determined murderer from taking the lives of his (or her) victims. Some schools across the country have metal detectors and on site police officers, this has helped in some cases. So how do we stop these murders from taking place in our schools? I'm going to go along with what this Buckeye Firearms Association article (The uncomfortable truth about school shootings)By Ken Hanson has to say. Arm and train a select group of teachers in every school across the country. I don't mean all teachers should be armed. Some might be so opposed to firearms that they wouldn't want any part of this idea. That shouldn't stop them from teaching in our schools. If a few of them in each school is armed and the public knows about it that will send a message to the would be child killers (school house shooters). It has become pretty clear that the gun-free zones that are now in front of our schools don't work. It is time to come up with a better plan, one that will keep our children safe.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

I can't really add to that. I agree completely.

I don't think such a plan should be billed as one that keeps our children safe, because that description will backfire in the long run if something goes wrong. It will, I believe, make them safer.

In the 1920s, there were shooting clubs at schools. No one worried about school shootings back then. Something is different, and it's not the guns. Blaming guns for violence is nonsense. It would be like blaming cars for vehicular homicide.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Would the teachers wear the guns in holsters? Or keep them in their desks--from which they could be stolen by delinquent or disturbed teens?

Would the teachers then be required to face down a school shooter? Who is going to be responsible for training teachers to be police officers? Would passing a marksmanship test be required to get certified as a teacher? I see some problems with that.

New York City schools sometimes have police officers stationed at them. I think that would be a better idea. Of course, that wouldn't have helped this situation. In fact it seems that this man chose an Amish school precisely because he knew that there wouldn't be anything like that there.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

David, I just realized you said "not all" teachers. I still think though that the question remains who would train these teachers?

Also I want to point out that the Columbine shooters wore bullet proof vests that, if I remember correctly, were wired with bombs (don't remember if they actually went off)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Mass murders happen everywhere. If someone wants a gun they will get a gun.

But politicians play on emotion not on truth or reality.

Did I mention I despise politicians.

Hi, made her from Gun Toting Liberal

2:07 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

Sovereign editor, I see you got something started by posting a message on this at your site. Someone said something to me and I left the site without leaving a message. I'll try and get back later. I think armed teachers (carrying concealed weapons) would have the same effect in the class room as concealed carry permit holders have had in many major cities. When the thugs don't know who is armed the crime rate drops.

Elizabeth,
I would say the teachers should carry the weapons in concealed carry holsters. This way the would be shooter won't know who is and is not armed. I wouldn't call facing down the would be shooter a requirement. It should be a natural instinct. Protecting themselves and others from a would be murderer. The NRA will provide you with a list of certified firearms safety instructors for any given area. Some shooting ranges also have certified instructors, any of them would be able to give the teachers the necessary training. There was a police officer stationed at Columbine, outside waiting for help while the shooting was taking place. I remember hearing about bombs at Columbine too, but like you I can't remember if they went off.

OMG, I just noticed my Word Verification looks like the alphabet has been scrambled.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

2:10 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

Welcome ole blue the heretic. It's not as hard to spot the mass murderers as it is to spot the politicians that plan to disarm all of us.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Not to make light of the issue, but I see some teachers have warmed to the idea for other reasons:
http://nyceducator.blogspot.com/2006/10/hell-with-phone-calls.html

3:03 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

Elizabeth, Thanks for the link, interesting.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home