Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Who Should Know And Use Firearms?

It's not Sunday but you can answer the question ask in the title if you'd like. When I first saw the column by Alexandra Perloe titled "Girls with guns" (I thought it would be about younger girls than the ones mentioned in the column.) it got my attention because I have a Grand Daughter that is a Freshman in High School this year. She signed up to take JROTC. Today she ask me to go with her (give her a ride) to get a new pair of pants for school. On the way to the shopping center she told me that she would be going to the rifle range for JROTC some time soon. I was happy to hear about this, she will be getting some firearms training. Any time I mentioned taking any of the Grand Kids to the rifle range their Mother and my Wife were opposed to the idea. That coming from my Wife surprised me since she does some shooting herself. I feel that everyone, boys and girls should get some firearms training at an early age. It is not all about making marksmen, expert hunters or champion skeet or trap shooters out of all of them. That's not going to happen, some of them won't be that interested in hunting or shooting sports. I feel they should spend some time at the range too. The first few trips out shouldn't be all about perfecting your shooting skills anyway. Like Nell Vaughn says in the column, "I thought it would be a good idea to learn how to make a gun safe". The first few trips out should be more about safety than the perfect shot. Before learning to shoot everyone should know how the weapon works and how to take care of it. They should know how to safely load and unload their weapon. My Father fell while carrying a loaded 410 shotgun and shot his finger off when he was in his teens. Before teaching me to shoot he taught me that all firearms are loaded. I was taught to know what is behind my target before taking that shot. Where is that round going to go if you miss, and we all do from time to time no matter what some people try to tell you. Hunting and shooting sports can be fun for the entire family, but remember SAFETY FIRST.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everyone should know how to use firearms.

It is best to know how to use them correctly if you ever need to.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Do you have any ideas on how to keep guns out of the hands of psychotic and psychopathic people?

They don't use guns correctly.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any ideas on how to keep guns out of the hands of psychotic and psychopathic people?

Shoot them. Not really, but I had to say that. Someone once told me something very similar and was being serious. I wouldn't call it a very professional opinion as they wanted to nuke the entire Middle East.

I will agree with you that some people should not use guns. I will now change my previous statement to say "Most everyone should know how to use a gun."

If someone (possibly psychopathic) is trying to harm you, or your property, it is a great to know how to use a gun to defend yourself. That being said, I know many people that should not use guns.

4:48 PM  
Blogger American Crusader said...

I agree. Most accidental deaths from guns are because people do not have the proper training in their use.

Elizabeth..I would prefer to be armed if I came across any psychotic/psychopathic (aren't these the same?) people carrying guns.

Besides, it is illegal for mentally incompetent people to own guns. This really is an entirely off topic subject.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! This is Jeremiah from Par!x (wordpress hosted blog). You recently left me a comment asking how it is over at wordpress.com and I'm now replying :)

Wordpress is a great service, no reason to be discouraged about using it from my post. The only reason I dislike the service is because they don't allow javascript of any sort and the skins aren't customizable unless you buy an upgrade.

Hope this helps :)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

If it's illegal for mentally ill people to own guns, how do so many of them get guns? (reference the Long Island Railroad Massacre, Columbine, a few other recent incidents)

5:25 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

I've been having log in problems for almost a week now. I'm just about ready to move to another blog host, I'll stay if I don't have any more problems. Elizabeth is right, there are some that shouldn't have firearms. If I made it sound like the mentally incompetent should be armed I'm sorry. But, we shouldn't try to disarm the whole country to keep firearms out of the hands of psychotic and psychopathic people. If we do we could also outlaw motor vehicles to stop drunks from driving. A motor vehicle with a drunk behind the wheel can be as deadly as any weapon. I don't think you'd get far suggesting we give up our motor vehicles to stop drunk drivers, I wouldn't support the idea. all of the legal firearms owners across the country shouldn't be punished for the actions of a few.

Now lets see if I can get this posted.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, No problem man! And you can, in fact, import your blogger archives to wordpress. I have a friend on my wordpress links who did just that and it seemed to work out great for him.

Cheers!

2:29 AM  
Blogger Praguetwin said...

I grew up around guns and learned to respect them. I think that is important.

I beleive in the right to bear arms for anyone that is the head of a household. Period.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home