Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Will I Ever Let Go?

If it seems like I'm unable to let go of the anger/hurt I feel every time I read about the Military Funeral protest held by Westboro Baptist Church members it's because I am. They claim to be protesting homosexual life styles. If that is true let them hold a protest at a gay parade. Maybe they are afraid of being arrested or injured if they did that. I've taken part in protest in the past. If you truly believe in the stand your taking the thought of possible arrest or injury should not bother you. Westboro Baptist Church members have held two protest here in Saint Joseph, Missouri. One was at a Military Funeral, they came back to protest again after our city council passed a city ordinance banning funeral protest. There are some questions about the ordinance. Is it constitutional? Chances are if it was taken to court we would find it's not, but something has to be done to protect people that are attending the funeral of a friend, family member or loved one. It doesn't matter to me if the deceased was a mass murderer, rapist, homosexual, child molester or member of the military. People attending their funeral should be treated with respect.

From time to time I read a Lincoln, Nebraska news paper,the Lincoln Journal Star. They recently published an article about a Lincoln resident, 1st Lt. Garrison Avery being killed while serving in Iraq. When I read that I figured I would soon be reading an article about Military Funeral protest and Westboro Baptist Church members in the Journal Star. It was published today, the article says legislators in several states are now working on legislation that would ban funeral protest. Another article in today's Journal Star says 1st Lt. Avery a West Point Graduate will be buried in the West Point Cemetery in West Point, New York. Westboro Baptist Church members may not want to go there. The article also mentions a memorial service that will be held in Lincoln later this month. I submitted a Letter To The Editor of the Journal Star this morning. I wanted to warn the residents of Lincoln about the possibility of them getting a visit from Westboro Baptist Church members, I hope I'm wrong about that happening. If they do protest the memorial service I hope some Lincoln residents will hold a counter protest and peacefully let them know they are not wanted in the Lincoln area.

Will I ever let go? Not until the Members of the Westboro Baptist Church stop terrorizing innocent victims that are attending the funeral of a loved one.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

I agree with you. I will try and e-mail you contact info of a man who lives in their area who has counter protested them before.

This is not a matter of being for the war or against it, this is about having respect for the families of the dead.

3:22 PM  
Blogger maccusgermanis said...

I checked PGR's site and they are making plans to attend.

http://www.patriotguard.org/Forums/tabid/61/postid/19518/view/topic/Default.aspx

12:10 PM  
Blogger maccusgermanis said...

Some day I will learn to read more carefully. They were planning to attend, before the funeral was moved to West Point. As you noted. I posted the change in their forums.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

There is certainly a great deal to learn about this topic. I love all the points you have made.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home