Thursday, June 23, 2005

A Message From Gun Owners Of America

I'm not feeling well today (back problems) so I'm going to try to make this short. I think some of you know I support the United States Constitution as it was written. The Second Amendment to the Constitution says, "A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."I feel that firearms registration is one step towards confiscation which would be infringing upon our Second Amendment rights. I hope you will take the time to read this message (http://www.gunowners.org/a062305.htm) from Gun Owners Of America (GOA), www.gunowners.org. If the Patriot Act Reauthorization bill (1266) is passed firearms dealers will be required to keep copies of all 4473 forms, this is a step towards registration. After reading the message I hope you will contact your elected officials and urge them to oppose S. 1266. GOA has provided a prewriten message which you can edit. Just remember, anytime your elected officials don't hear from you they assume you approve of what they are doing.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaime said...

i don't believe in infringing on the right to bear arms ... but i am against the lack of security that keeping fire arms in a house with loved ones. the manufacturers just aren't doing enough in that regard.

5:24 PM  
Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

I disagree with the suggestion that my right to keep and bear arms would not be infringed if my right to own a semiautomatic handgun were suddenly taken away form me. But you feel free to make do with a single-action revolver when defending your family from criminals wielding military-grade hardware (which they will continue to get whether or not it is legal for them to do so). In my opinion, the only type of weapon the government has a right to regulate is one that is inherently hazardous -- read explosives, biological agents, etc. Unlike guns, these weapons can easily harm innocent bystanders no matter how careful you are. That's why strict liability applies to explosives in tort law.

Guns are not inherently hazardous. Even tough they are designed to kill things, they do not kill unless used intentionally for that purpose, or if the person handling the gun is willfully negligent.

If someone wants to have a fully automatic military-grade assault rifle, they have my blessing. The owning of such a weapon does not warrant any scrutiny by the government. The only people, and I repeat the only people who deserve to have their right to keep and bear arms infringed are those who abuse that right to prey upon others. I do not believe that a felon should loose the right to keep and bear arms just by virtue of being a felon. Such an intrusion by the state should only be reserved for violent felons.

But, unfortunately, the Supreme Court has had a very busy couple of years making sure that the Constitution is dismantled. Just the other day, they overturned the Fifth Amendment.

Can I have my Constitutional Republic back, please?

"If history could teach us anything, it would be that private property is inextricably linked with civilization."
--Ludwig von Mises

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home