Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Law Suit Society

In a blog I posted yesterday, Armed and Alive, I mentioned two pieces of legislation I hope you will urge your United States Senators and Representatives to support, H.R. 800 and S. 397. These two bills will protect firearms manufacturers and gun shop owners from what I feel are stupid law suits. The manufacturers and dealers have no control over the weapons after they are no longer in their possession. I feel supporting these two bills is even more important now than I did when I posted Armed and Alive. Believe it or not that is not even why I'm writhing this now.

Do you remember Rachel Corrie? She was the student from Evergreen State College, in Olympia, Washington that was ran over by a bulldozer while trying to prevent the demolition of a Palestinian home. Can you guess where I'm going with this yet? The parents of Rachel Corrie have apparently filed a suit against Caterpillar Inc. the company that made the bulldozer. They claim caterpillar violated international and state laws by providing Israeli Defense Forces with specially designed bulldozers knowing that they would be used to demolish homes and endanger lives. "The brutal death of my daughter should never have happened," Corrie's mother said. "We believe Caterpillar and the (Israeli Defense Forces) must be held accountable for their role in the attack." OK, I can agree with part of that, maybe the Israeli Forces should be held accountable for a part of what happened, but they will never get them to admit to any wrong doing, (type The U.S.S. Liberty into a search engine). From what I have heard Rachel had been warned, she should have known the bulldozer was not going to stop. As far as suing Caterpillar goes, I feel this is every bit as wrong as suing firearms manufacturers and gun dealers for the actions of a criminal. I guess things like this will continue to go on as long as we have judges that feel a person should be able to sue a fast food joint for selling hot coffee.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

The manufacturers are not liable when crime happen using their products once it purchased by customers.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home