Sunday, October 07, 2007

Question Of The Week, 10/7/07

Good morning. I've been busy and haven't had time for blogging for quite some time now. I'm still busy but I'm going to try to spend (set aside) some time here and checking out other sites again. I'm going to start with a Question Of The Week that will be the first of several (weekly) questions that will all have something in common. It won't take you long to figure out what that is. I have a reason for starting this series of questions at this time. If you don't figure it out right away my reason will be clear by the time we get to the end of the series. It might be fun/interesting for you to try to figure out why now before we get to the end.

This weeks Question Of The Week is. In your opinion what is the purpose/meaning of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I'll post my answer in the Comment Section Monday night.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

I think I will wait for your answer on Monday night. I do in fact have a personal interpretation but I think it is not what you are alluding to somehow. Oh, and thanks for your commentary at American Interests David, really appreciated!

4:02 AM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

First I want to thank you for stopping by to answer this weeks question. I'am late again, I was down all day Monday with a migraine, something I wouldn't wish on anyone. I'm feeling better and ready to answer now.In your opinion what is the purpose/meaning of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution? One piece at a time."Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;". Congress/ Government will not be allowed to establish/create a religion or prevent us from practicing the religion of our choice."or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;". We are free to speak or write without fear. We should however remember there are laws covering slanderous or treasonous speech."or the right of the people peaceably to assemble," We are free to hold public meetings, a place to practice that freedom of speech. We can form picket lines or hold protests. We should remember the key word here is,"peaceably"."and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." We are free to sign or gather signatures on a petition urging our eleced officials to solve a problem or right a wrong.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Sholom said...

There are quite a number of rights and liberties enshrined within the First Amendment, all condensed into one short paragraph. One primary purpose of this amendment's inclusion in the Bill of Rights, in my opinion, is in order that people should not be forced (quoting the Declaration of Independence) "to suffer, while Evils are sufferable".

Of course, when the First Amendment is rendered into fiction, as is the case in contemporary American society, we always have the fallback plan; I call it the Second Amendment.

"A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Why was this amendment included in the Bill of Rights? Let's have another look at the Declaration.

"...when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such government..."

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, homies and homos, is why I am an anarchist.

If you can keep it, indeed.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home