Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Time For A Prayer

On Thursday, August 3, 2006 my Wife and I became Great-Grand-Parents. Tonight the Great-Grand-Daughter and her Mother are spending the night here. After the two of them went to bed for the night I got on the computer to check my e-mail and the latest news. After reading one article that tells about North Korea calling the United Nations sanctions a declaration of war. I read one that told about the possibility of North Korea testing a second nuclear device. Then I read what the BBC had to say about all of this. Then I started thinking about our Great-Grand-Daughter asleep in the other room. If things don't change soon she may never get to know the joy of being a Parent or Grand-Parent. So I want to ask all of you to do something not just for her but for all the children world wide. Before you go to sleep tonight remember them in your prayers. Ask God to watch over and protect them, give them a chance to grow into adults and clean up the mess that our generation and past generations have made of this world.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

5 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

These are dangerous times. I understand your concern--and also your deep desire for Heather to grow up safely.

Yes, we must pray for the children! We owe them a better world!

BTW, I'd love to see a picture of Heather. You know how to email me with that, should you decide you want to.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Congratulations! (I'm not sure how you can be a great-grandfather at 56?).

Your great-grandchild is going to have worse things to worry about. With climate change, she could end up contracting tropical diseases, having her house blown away in a hurricane, paying most of her income for food, and driving a horse and buggy to work!

North Korea isn't going to attack the U.S. unprovoked, because if they did, we'd just obliterate them. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the entire world.

11:08 AM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

AOW,I don't have a camera that works right now. I need to get one. I'll send you a photo as soon as I do.

Elizabeth, How I became a Great- Grand- Father at 56. We have a Grand-Daughter that gave birth when she was 14. Another sign of troubling times. We weren't real happy about that at first, but we excepted it. Now we are proud of the Grand-Daughter because of the way she delt with the situation from the begining. She has turned out to be a wonderful loving Mother.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Amen!

I've been praying for that since 9/11, my friend. That is the reason I developed an interest in politics. As I thought of the horrific thing that had happened, and the many horrific things that had come before, and the many horrific things that would come after...I knew that I had to speak, and that I had to do whatever I could, however small that might be, to make sure that my children had a world to grow up into where they could live out their lives, cherish their freedoms, and not face the fear that it could all be snuffed out through a moment of hate.

I cannot ensure that the world my children will face in adulthood is the world I would wish for them, but I'm going to do my damnedest to try.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

David,
We have a Grand-Daughter that gave birth when she was 14. Another sign of troubling times. We weren't real happy about that at first, but we excepted it. Now we are proud of the Grand-Daughter because of the way she delt with the situation from the begining. She has turned out to be a wonderful loving Mother.

Such teenage pregnancies happen, as you well know. I know several such young mothers who who turned out to be good mothers. The support of the extended family is crucial in such cases, of course.

As a young great-grandfather, you can take such joy in your little precious one. My parents married late (Mom was 34, Dad was 39), so I never got to know even my grandparents very well; one grandmother was on her way out by the time I was born, and both of my grandfathers had died long before. Fortunately, my maternal grandmother married at 16 (In the hills of east Tennessee, girls in the early part of the 20th Century married quite young), so I got to know her quite well. One "grandparent blessing" is better than none at all!

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home