Sunday, February 19, 2006

Question Of The Week, 2/19/06

Good morning. Over the past few weeks we have all seen a countless number of articles telling about Muslims being outraged by cartoons that show Muhammad wearing a bomb shaped turban and as a knife wielding nomad. As a rule I don't pay any attention to the political cartoons, but I did notice one Saturday, February, 18, 2006. When I walked into the break room at work Saturday night our local paper, the St. Joseph News-Press was laying on the table opened to the Opinion Page. A political cartoon at the top of the page shows a likeness of Vice President Cheney. He is wearing a heavy (hunting) coat and large billed (hunting) cap. One lens of his glasses looks like the rings and cross hairs of a rifle scope. He is wearing hearing protection, (muffs) his pants and (hunting) dog are tucked into his boots.He is holding a double barreled shotgun that has the barrels twisted around each other. I can't read the artist signature on the cartoon, C. T. or C. H. Rist, I think. This weeks question of the week is in two parts. Is this cartoon less offensive than the Muhammad cartoons? (Don't forget the subject of this cartoon was a hunting accident and a Gentleman was injured.) Should gun owners, hunters and people involved in other shooting sports be outraged enough by this cartoon to demand an apology?

I'll post my answer in the Comment Section Monday night.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

4 Comments:

Blogger maccusgermanis said...

Yes, this cartoon is less offensive to a community of shooters (that are used to, and expect, people who do dumb things with guns to be ridiculed)than the mohamhead cartoons are to the variety of fools that thought the chief fool unassailable.

Nope, Unless you mean from Dick Cheney. I know it was an accident and I like the vice president. But, his momentary carelessness gives us all a bad reputation.

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think people should be offended by political cartoons. I am more offended by the activities of our leaders at Bohemian Grove worshiping Moloch.

There will be people trying to call for an end to guns not realizing that they are giving up their ability to protect what few rights they still can use without being thrown in jail.

I am not offended by any political cartoon.

5:24 AM  
Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

Even if I was offended, it wouldn't matter. The simple fact is that we do not have the right to never be offended. We do have the right to be free from harassment, but this is something different. The proper solution for these sensitive Muslims is simply not to look at the cartoon if they find it offensive. Instead, we have Muslim clerics attempting to engage in murder for hire (which was a crime last time I checked), and mobs of hooligans killing people and breaking things (in the name of their prophet no less).

As for this cleric offering money for the murder of the cartoonist, I would like to see an arrest warrant filed against him in Brussels (or do you have to be a member of the U.S. military or a presidential administration for such an action to be taken against you?).

7:39 AM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

First I want to thank all of you for taking the time to answer this weeks question. No, this cartoon is no more or less offensive than the Muhammad cartoons. I think both show some poor taste, but that is just my opinion. I don't think gun owners/shooters (or the Muslim Community) should demand or get an apology. Political cartoons have been around almost as long as the quill pen and they will be around long after everyone reading this now is gone.We should all learn to shake off a jab and get on with our lives. I could have been offended by something my local paper, the St. Joseph News-Press did recently, but I found some humor in it and got over it. I had submitted a letter to the editor to congratulate the winner of the name the team contest. (Saint Joseph will have a new minor league baseball team this year, I'd also submitted an entry in the contest.)The News-Press changed the title of my letter. I don't remember my title, but they changed it to "Gracious loser". I could have ask for an apology, who are they to call me a loser? I'll just go on being gracious.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home