Friday, October 28, 2005

DOC

Did the title make you think I was posting something about a government agency? That's not what it is at all. It's the title of a book I read recently, DOC (Heroic Stories Of Medics, Corpsmen, and Surgeons In Combat)BY Mark R. Littleton and Charles "Chuck" Wright, published by Zenith Press. I got it while I was at Skidmore, Missouris' Freedom Fest (an event to honor the Veterans of all wars) this September. The book is made up of (true) short stories about the actions of Medics, Corpsmen and Surgeons starting at World War One up through Operation Iraqi Freedom. I've read non-fiction books about combat Infantrymen, Pilots and Sailors in the past, but this is the first one I've ever read about the Combat Medical Personnel. After reading it you can't help but admire them for all their efforts to save lives. Many of them lost their lives while trying to get their wounded comrades to safety. Some of the stories come from the memories of people whose lives were saved by Medics, others are told by the Medics themselves. I'm sure all of them are serious when they say,"The Combat Medic Prayer, Oh, Lord I ask for the divine strength to meet the demands of my profession. Help me to be the finest medic, both technically and tactically. If I am called to the battlefield, give me the courage to conserve our fighting forces by providing medical care to all who are in need. If I am called to a mission of peace, give me strength to lead by caring for those who need my assistance. Finally, Lord, help me to take care of my own spiritual, physical and emotional needs. Teach me to trust in your presence and never-failing love. AMEN." After reading the book I think you will agree with me when I say that some of the most courageous members of our military are our Combat Medical Personnel. It is a book I'd suggest to anyone, if you have a friend that has served as a Medic, Corpsmen or (military) Surgeon it would make a wonderful gift. There are plans to build a Memorial to honor Combat Medical Personnel and a Military Museum in Kansas City. Proceeds from the book DOC will help fund the National Medical War Memorial and Youth Education Center. So by getting a copy you will be helping out with the building of a long over due Memorial.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You might be interested in an entry posted on the Ruminations on America Project (www.ruminationsonamerica.blogspot.com) about a book called Thou Shalt Not Kill Unless Otherwise Instructed by Mike Sharpe.

http://ruminationsonamerica.blogspot.com/2005/10/thou-shalt-not-kill.html This is the permanent link in case you'd like to forward it to other interested parties.

All the best to you,

Rita J. King

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home