Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What Are You Paying For Gas?

I was a little surprised to see one station in Saint Joseph, Missouri was selling regular for $2.99 per gallon after I read the following St. Joseph News-Press article.


5/9/2007 1:51:00 AM

Drivers feel pinch at the pumps

Nancy Hull
Education Reporter

St. Joseph is flirting with a record that drivers are anything but happy about.

Regular unleaded gasoline prices in much of the area surpassed $3 a gallon Tuesday, and numerous locations topped the area's all-time high of $3.04 a gallon. The American Automobile Association (AAA) is expected to release Tuesday's average high for the region this morning.

The area's record came in September 2005 after Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast.

Nationwide, prices soared Tuesday to an average of $3.036 a gallon, just 2 cents short of the all-time high. In the Midwest, St. Louis shattered records in recent days with a $3.17 a gallon high.

Ongoing problems at the nation's oil refineries have led to a downturn in gasoline production, experts say.

In St. Joseph Tuesday, some filling up at the pumps were considering switching to bikes and canceling summer vacations.

Amanda Blumer, who filled up her 8-gallon car at downtown's City Star Gas & Convenience, spent more than $24 - a high for her. Gas was $3.04 there in the afternoon.

"It's crazy," she said. "If it goes up any higher than this, I'm going to start walking, riding my bike or riding a city bus."

Vince Griffey shook his head as he talked about the prices while paying for gas at the downtown station.

"I'm not going to be able to travel near as much this summer as I usually do," he said. "There's just no way - not if the gas prices stay the way they are."

The summer outlook isn't promising.

Tuesday, the U.S. Energy Department raised its summer average pump price by 14 cents to $2.95 a gallon. The department is expected to report today a rebound in gasoline inventories, although it won't be significant.

Darrel Murphy, a manager at Speedy's Convenience on Frederick Avenue near 24th Street in St. Joseph, doesn't know what to expect of today's prices. Tuesday, he watched his station's prices increase from $2.89 to $3.04 a gallon.

"We're seeing it go up all over town," he said.

The Associated Press

contributed to this report.


I'm sure I'll have to get gas again before my next payday. I wonder if I'll end up wishing I did it today, but the article shows me the price has came down since yesterday. Every time I fill the tank anymore I feel like a mugging victim. Does anyone know of a reason for gas prices going up other than they know we'll pay it?

Let's do a price check. What was a gallon of regular selling for in your area the last time you bought gas?

Thanks go to:
The St. Joseph News-Press
God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Hope electric vehicles will implement before 2030

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home