Sunday, February 04, 2007

Question Of The Week, 2/4/07

Good Morning. After I got off work at 11:PM (last night) I came home and the first thing I heard when I came through the door was the Grand Daughter that lives with us telling me she had good news and bad news, I almost left again. The good news was she loves me. So then I'm thinking the next part will be a killer. The "bad news", when she tried to take a shower she found out the shower drain was frozen again,second time this winter. My Wife had plugged in the heat tape earlier, when I checked that I found a tripped circuit breaker. So I took care of that and got washed up. Then I started working on this weeks question, still thinking about the frozen pipe. I found something I thought was interesting (very fitting because of the frozen drain line) in the "It's Your Call" section of my local paper.


"Keep on truckin'

Twenty-five thousand years ago, there was a sheet of ice that went from the North Pole to right around Des Moines, Iowa. In some places, it was three miles thick. It melted. There was some global warming back then that caused it to melt. There weren't any airplanes, any cars, any trains to cause any pollutants in the atmosphere to raise the temperature. Nowadays, we have global warning, that's a fact, but I cannot see it being solely man-made. Whatever caused the first temperature to rise 25,000 years ago to melt that sheet of ice is the same thing that is causing global warming now. And, if anyone thought that those scientists that met in Paris would come away with any conclusion other than "Man is the sole responsibility for causing global warming," then they have to have another thought coming, because that was the sole purpose of that meeting."



OK, what would I think about other than global warming when I have frozen pipes? It is something we hear about just about daily. I'm pretty sure it is something just about everyone has an opinion on. So, this weeks Question Of The Week will be in several parts. What's your opinion, is global warming real or is it a part of some scientists over active imagination? If it is real was it caused by man, or is it a part of Gods plan? Is it something man should try to fix/prevent, or should we be trying to adapt? I'll post my answers in the Comment Section Monday night.

Thanks go to:

The St. Joseph News-Press

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone doubts global warming is real - the evidence is there. The question is - is it caused largely by man.

Putting aside the learned opinions of scientitsts like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, most of the rest of the scientific community says the answer is likely yes.

Given the potentially catastrophic results, we should definitely try to do something about it. Do we really need 100% foolproof evidence that we are causing global warming before we do something about it? Common sense and self-preservation say we err on the side of caution.

7:39 AM  
Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

Global Warming is probably real, although I remember a winter back in the early 1980's that was very warm... I wore shorts and a short-sleeved shirt playing outside on Christmas Day -- in act, the pictures from that Christmas look more like the Fourth of July. For that reason, every time someone mentioned the unusual warmth this past Christmas, I responded by saying "Yeah... we haven't had a Christmas this warm in maybe 25 years."

The real issue is whether or not humans are causing it. I don't really think the policy-writers among the global warming zealots think we are, and that is telling (if they did, the Kyoto Protocol would have the same restrictions on China, India, and Mexico as they do on the U.S. and Canada).

In a way, I am happy about the recent hypothesis that Global Warming is unstoppable. Maybe now we can devote our resources to building infrastructure to deal with new problems that will arise in growing food and finding fresh water in the face of massive climate change. This is something a responsible society should have been doing from the beginning, but we prefer to point fingers.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Since none of us are scientists (as far as I know) we should go with what the scientific community is saying, and their consensus is that not only is global warming real but it's 90 percent certain that it's caused by human activity.

Actually though when you think about it it's common sense. The enormous amount of energy produced by modern economies causes heat! It causes pollution! Pollution in the air creates a blanket that traps heat! Even if you're not a scientist you could see that it's inevitable. I mean what could be more obvious.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

I think that we're in a climate cycle right now. Do emissions contribute? I think so, but I don't think that even the scientists know how much. I've read dissenting opinions from scientists.

In addition, I think that the promotion of the idea of global warming is largely political. After all, Al Gore is a Democrat, so promoting fearmongering about global warming helps the Democratic Party.

Addendum: I well remember the heat wave of the early 1980s. We went out and bought an air conditioner for our bedroom! I also remember some kind of heat wave in the 1960s; practicing the piano made for one sweaty activity in a my parents' house, which didn't have AC.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

David,
Right now in the D.C. area, it's the coldest it's been in 10 years. Brrrrr!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Praguetwin said...

It seems pretty clear that temperature is rising faster than it has in the past. Certainly the glaciers melted 25,000 years ago, but over several thousands of years I think.

What is disturbing is how quickly this change seems to be taking place.

It is common sense that if you cut down a large portion of the forests on the planet and burn them while burning tens of millions of barrels of oil per day it is going to have some effect.

Whether or not we can stop it is another story: it may well be too late. But we should probably try.

5:18 AM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

First I want to thank everyone for stopping by to answer this weeks question,"What's your opinion, is global warming real or is it a part of some scientists over active imagination? If it is real was it caused by man, or is it a part of Gods plan? Is it something man should try to fix/prevent, or should we be trying to adapt?" I think the earth is warming despite the fact that this is the first winter in five years that my shower drain froze up. It was in the teens in Saint Joseph Monday, Tuesday it's supposed to be in the 40's, (with snow?)and back down in the 20's Wednesday. I too can remember warmer winters. I remember someone taking a photo (I wish I had it) of an old friend ( Doug "Fall Down" Fairchild) and I coming down Grand Ave. in Spencer, Iowa on a Harley on Christmas Day of 1979. We were in short sleeves. Climate cycles were taking place before we got here and they will be taking place after we're gone, all part of Gods plan. Can we stop Gods plan? No, but we should have better land/resource management plans in place just to survive. Always On Watch said,"In addition, I think that the promotion of the idea of global warming is largely political. After all, Al Gore is a Democrat, so promoting fearmongering about global warming helps the Democratic Party." Isn't is amazing, there seems to be a snake oil salesman out there for every situation. Not just Al and not always a Dem. Chances are most of the well meaning folks that feel man is 100% responsable for global warming would expect me to give up my truck and get a little car but they wouldn't want to face next summer without their AC. Is the global warming issue (a tool) being used to keep us fighting amongst ourselves?

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

1:49 AM  
Blogger American Crusader said...

Good question. Global warming is a fact. It has happened many times during the life of our planet. Maybe hundreds or thousands of times. At one time the entire planet was warm and tropical without any polar regions and at other times there have been massive ice flows covering large parts of the planet.
I personally believe we are in a warming cycle but that we are accelerating this cycle with fossil fuel use and other pollutants.
As to what degree?
I hear so much science on both sides of the issue and now it seems it has taken on a political content. In truth I have no idea.
Regardless..shouldn't we do everything possible without destroying the economy to limit pollution?

10:39 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Chances are most of the well meaning folks that feel man is 100% responsable for global warming would expect me to give up my truck and get a little car but they wouldn't want to face next summer without their AC.

I agree. That kind of inconsistency drives me wacko.

6:20 AM  
Blogger The Sovereign Editor said...

Likewise, they think that coal-fueled power plants are producing too much CO2, but won't even consider nuclear plants as an option.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Why not consider install a solar heated system to provide you hot water? I hope i'm wrong but i think US is just focusing on immigration, War, Election, etc etc. but they not focusing in Climate Change. Last month there's a seminar at http://assistedlivinglittlerockarkansas.com about Climate Change.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home