Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Scary Stories, Factual And Fictional

There are always plenty of frightening stories going around on Halloween night. Some are true some are not, and some, well who knows. I thought I'd go ahead and add a couple to the list.

The first one was in this mornings St. Joseph News-Press.

"Amenities include a mysterious, spooky image

Aaron Bailey

When buying a condo, there's a couple of key things to watch out for. One, that there are no cracks in the foundation or termites in the walls. And two, the image of a skeleton doesn't show up repeatedly in the windows.

Steve Riley has a situation, but it doesn't involve cracks or termites.

"I came out of the bathroom and I thought someone was looking at me," Mr. Riley said, recalling when he first discovered a mysterious image in his new condo's glass patio door. "It scared the hell out of me."

Mr. Riley, a St. Joseph resident, closed on the condo at the Lake of the Ozarks a few months ago. In true "Amityville Horror" fashion, the real-estate agent didn't mention anything out of the ordinary, and shades obscured the patio doors during his initial inspection.

But soon after he began renovations, between the glass of double-paned doors, a white residue had formed in the ominous shape of a skeleton.

Mr. Riley initially dismissed it as the work of an overactive imagination, but he couldn't shake the feeling there was something more to the images as he reviewed photographs he took of the inside of the condo.

"I put the photos on my computer and found that I can zoom in," he said. "I found there were also images of other faces, and what looked like a little girl with pigtails hiding behind her mother's dress. I just had chills all up and down my spine."

While he's never believed in supernatural occurrences, an overnight stay in the condo spawned even more questions in his mind.

"I don't believe in ghosts, but one night I thought I saw (the skeleton image) in the closet," he said. "But I'm sure I was just dreaming or thinking about it ..."

A hard water stain inside the window, fueled by imagination like some sort of Rorschach inkblot test? Or a message from someone, or something, from beyond the grave?

"I just don't know," Mr. Riley said. "I thought it was weird, just kind of spooky. Everyone I show the pictures to says, 'I can't believe you're staying there.'"

But Mr. Riley is looking into ways to turn a spooky situation into a profitable one. He plans on possibly selling the window on eBay.

"What, they paid something like $30,000 for a piece of toast with an image, why not this?" he said."

I have to agree with Mr. Riley, there is a market for just about everything. All you have to do is find the right person. If he does sell the window and strange things continue to happen maybe he should think about finding someone that is interested in a condo.

My second story is a little closer to my family, some of you may have heard it before. It is a true story about some unsolved murders.

My Grand Mother on my Mothers side of the family passed away when my Mother and he siblings were young. My Grand Father didn't think men should raise girls without a women in the home so he turned to family friends to raise his Daughters. My Mother grew up in the home of C.A. Moore (I grew up calling him and his Wife Lu Grandma & Grandpa). On June 9/10, 1912 C.A.'s Brother J.B., his Wife, their six children and two over night guest were all the victims of an ax murderer. After the page opens click on "VILLISCA living with a Mystery" to read about this unsolved murder case.

The J.B. Moore home is now a museum, if your ever in Villisca, Iowa I'd suggest you check it out. You can even spend a night in the house if you'd care to. I haven't got up the courage or the money to do that just yet.

I hope you enjoyed or were interested in the stories. Maybe you'll want to share them some scary night.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

8 Comments:

Blogger Praguetwin said...

Thanks for reminding me it is Halloween.

I liked the stories.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been told that many parts of St. Joseph are haunted. If I remember correctly, there is an old mental institution and something about a highway. Is any of that correct?

Growing up in northern Missouri, I remember stories of the Villisca murders. There was even a movie about it that came out a year or two ago and I believe played in Corydon, Iowa. I never seen the movie, but I had a few friends that did.

2:19 PM  
Blogger FreeCyprus said...

hehe, good post for this time of year. Happy Halloween

8:36 PM  
Blogger David Schantz said...

Jake, Yes I grew up in Saint Joseph,we have a lot of old mansions, built before the Civil War that have ghost.I used to be the care taker at one of them. It is still a single family dwelling.Many times I was the only one in the building and had a feeling that I was not alone. I'm sorry to say many of the old homes are now apartment buildings. The old mental hospital is now a prison. They built a new mental hospital across the street. There used to be a TB sanitarium here that was said to be haunted but it has been torn down. It was closed by the time I was in my teens. That is were you went to scare your date when I was younger.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm not big on the paranormal myself, but I did appreciate the stories; and he should definitely sell that glass...see if it works anywhere other than there.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm not big on the paranormal myself, but I did appreciate the stories; and he should definitely sell that glass...see if it works anywhere other than there.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

I was just in Amityville last week. Someone who lives there was telling me she thinks the people who bought that house had to have known about the murders, which were all over the news, and they probably bought the house to write a book about it. The house has had several owners since, but apparently no one else complained about ghosts. She told me she would take her kids there and "they gave out really good Halloween candy."

5:54 PM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Also consider The Lizzie Borden House Fall River, Massachusetts

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home