Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Who'll Control Cuba

Over the past couple of days I've seen several articles like, "Castro relationship with U.S. has long been rocky", that tell about what it was like to live in Castro's Cuba and make predictions about what it will be like after he is gone. I was born on Castro's 24th birthday, (8/13/50) so I can't really remember a Castro free Cuba. All of the recent articles I have seen makes it sound like some of our elected officials are pretty excited about the possibility of Castro stepping down permanently, or dying. I can't help but wonder. Do they feel Castro's Cuba is a threat to our national security? Or do they feel this could be a chance to find some more cheap labor if they can find a way to play a part in putting Cubas next leader in office?

Just A thought.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David: It's a real Hobson's Choice for the Cubans if they have to continue under communism or just return to a pre-Castro existence.

It's an emotional issue, but I've never understood why we continue to shut Cuba out of our trade while at the same time now have our nation in hock to a communist regime more brutal than Castro's.

If 'trade brings democracy' then we've neglected Cuba. Castro has shown himself to be someone not to be trusted, and probably will be remembered as someone who always put himself before his country.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

From what I understand, Batista (Castro's predecessor) was just as brutal and iron-handed as Castro. But he was a rightwing dictator who protected American interests and maintained Cuba as a popular vacationland for American VIPs.

Most of the anticipating and salivating that I've seen on the Internet seems to be just a longing to return Cuba to its status as an American stomping ground, without any regard to what the Cuban people might actually want.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I was also born in 1950, but I can remember circa 1958 discussion at the dinner table about the "rebels" fighting against Batista and I can also remember Castro and Guevara entering Havana after Batista fled, broadcast live and in black and white on Channel Two in St.Joseph...Of course you and I were kids then and my own immediate reactions was "Wow! Those guys have Thompson machine guns and girls are throwing flowers at them! That's kind of cool!" with little understanding of any politcal implications.


I agree with Tom Harper's post. I share his concerns. I mistrust the enemies of Castro more than I dislike him.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Fidel Castro died last November 25, 2016.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home