Tuesday, April 05, 2005

ATV accidents kill children

I just got home from work about an hour ago. On the nights that I get off at 11:PM I read the next day's local paper (Saint Joseph News-Press, www.stjoelive.com) before going to bed.

One of the first head lines I saw said, "ATV accident kills 7-year-old". My guess was that someone had been taking their son or daughter for a ride and had an accident. I see adults doing this quite often so this would not have surprised me. I was wrong, the article said that a 7 year old boy ( I won't mention names due to ages) died after being thrown from an ATV that was being driven by a 9 year old boy. The article said the ATV left the road and struck a ravine, the 7 year old was thrown from the vehicle before it fell back and trapped him. It goes on to say that another child, a 6 year old was also on the ATV at the time. The 6 and 9 year olds were both taken to a local hospital, their conditions were unavailable at the time of this writing.

I took the time to mention this for a couple of reasons. First I can not understand why a 6,7 or 9 year old would be on an ATV with another child as a passenger I have known experienced adult ATV drivers that were killed or injured in accidents. Where were the adult's at the time?

My second reason for mentioning this. Can you imagine the outrage if a 6,7 and 9 year old took a firearm out of the house and one of them accidentally shot and killed one of the others? The anti-gun crowd would have a field day, it would be in the national news for weeks, as far as I know this is just a local news story so far. There would be a cry for more gun control laws and efforts would be made to have the parents and or the owner of the ATV jailed for being irresponsible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a 7 day waiting period and a background check before purchasing an ATV. I'm just saying society seems to view these two objects differently. One of these objects can be just as deadly as the other if not used safely. If you enjoy shooting sports and want to get your children involved I think that is great. Before you ever hand them a loaded weapon (and they all are!) make sure that child knows every thing you can possibly teach them about firearms safety. The same goes for those of you that enjoy riding ATV's, if you have young ones that want to get involved in your hobby or sport teach them, but the first lessons should be on safe operation of the vehicle.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

Teach them the basic as well as safety precautions for ATV. Go to http://assistedlivinglittlerockarkansas.com

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home