Friday, May 25, 2007

In Memory Of The U.S.S. South Dakota.

Just in case you didn't know the U.S.S. South Dakota was the first United States ship to fire on mainland Japan during World War Two. A site has been set up in memory of the ship and her crew. I'll be spending part of the day there this Memorial Day. There are a lot of informative links at the bottom of the Home Page. By clicking on "Mail Call" you can send/post a message to the ships living crew members. I visit this site in memory of Richard L. Goforth (My Uncle.Page 3 Photos, 9th row, 1st on the left) KIA 6/19/44 while serving on the U.S.S. South Dakota. The site has made it possible for me to contact some of his old shipmates and learn about a family member that I never got the chance to meet. Rest In Peace Richard. I hope you'll check the site out this Memorial Day weekend.

I want to wish you a Safe and Happy Memorial Day.

Thanks go to:
The USS South Dakota.


God Bless America, God Save The Republic.


I

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Thayer said...

A USS South Dakota memorial is located in 2705 W 12th St, Sioux Falls, SD 57104, and includes several relics from the battleship within a concrete outline of the hull.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home