Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Stop Breed Bans!!!

I just got an instant message from my Daughter in Portland, Oregon. She wanted to share some information with me. It looks like the state of California now wants to tell it's residents what breeds of dogs they can and cannot have and some of the residents are speaking out. Linda Blair, a Pit owner was there for the protest. First they come for your gun's, now they come for your dog's. What's next? I'm sure the supporters of California's S.B.861 would like you to believe that all Pit Bulls and Rottweilers along with a few other breeds are natural born killers. If you'll go for that one I'm afraid that you would go for stereo typing humans based on their race. I'm sure we have all seen that done and know it is wrong, it's no different with dogs. It's all about how they are raised (trained) and cared for. I used to have a Rottweiler,(RIP Patriot, you are missed and thought of often)when I did I was not afraid to leave our three year old Grand Daughter in the run alone with him while I stepped away (out of site) to fill food and water containers. My Daughter is the Pit person in the family, you can check her site out at www.odnarb.com or http://odnarb.blogspot.com She has a few breeds of dogs, well trained and cared for. I have been around other friends Pit Bulls, the only thing I had to worry about was being slobbered on. If you live in California I suggest you contact your elected officials and urge them to oppose this legislation even if your dog is not one of the so called killer breeds. Like I said what's next, could be the breed of dog you do have. If you don't live in California but have friends or family that do please contact them and urge them to get involved in stopping this. Just think, if it is passed in California one of the law makers in your state might like it and want to bring it home.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

3 Comments:

Blogger pilgrim said...

That some dogs have a greater inherent potential for causing damage cannot be ignored. It can neither be ignored that ALL dogs are potentially dangerous if treated irresponsibly. The laws that revoke the privledges of ownership from the irresponsible already exist. The actuall reason for the banning of breeds would have to be an inability or a disinterest in enforcing these laws.

3:11 PM  
Blogger BLOGBANK said...

I live in La Jolla, California and have not heard of this....yet. Will keep my eyes open.

8:37 PM  
Blogger frstlymil said...

I have a pit-bull mix that our vet declared a Jack Russel mix for licensing purposes for this very reason. Yes, I'm in California - and yes, you can lose your homeowner's policy for having a pit. In some states, they have a mandatory kill policy for pitbulls. They are simply put to sleep. Doesn't matter that in the 1950's that same breed was considered THE American dog - yes. PEOPLE screwed up that image. All dogs have the potential to turn, or to be agressive - usually toward other dogs and extensive training is sometimes necessary. Having a dog is like having a child - you can't leave them to their own devices to find their way in the world - they need some help, nurturing and responsibility.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home